A court in chaos,
December 8, 2017
Kan We Help members attended all (except Juvenile cases) Lassen County Court cases from August 28, 2017 to December 8, 2017. The results were astonishing and shocking.
Judge Tony Mallery was sued for Abuse of Power. Judge Tony Mallery lost this case, on February 9, 2017.The taxpayers paid out a $184,830.99 settlement.
The Lassen County Superior Court was crippled when the Presiding Judge Michelle Verderosa resigned on May 8, 2017 and is no longer even a practicing attorney. Governor Brown selected the replacement for Judge Michelle Verderosa today. The official announcement will be made on or around December 22.
What was stunningly notable was the frustrations by the Visiting Judges. Some commented during open sessions of court of the "shabby" presentations of cases by the Deputy District Attorney's. Some stating that they have never, ever seen a court in such disarray. One Judge commented that it was "unfair" to have to endure such chaos.
1. Cases were dismissed, by Visiting Judges, for the District Attorney failing to file timely motions
2. Cases were dismissed, by Visiting Judges, for the District Attorney failing to present or even subpoena witnesses
3. Cases were dismissed, by Visiting Judges, for the District Attorney failing to provide the Court with any evidence.
4. Cases were dismissed, by Visiting Judges, for the District Attorney failing to provide competent management of
5. Cases were dismissed, by Visiting Judges, for the District Attorney failing to be able to proceed.
One Visiting Judge commented that coming to Lassen County was like riding a merry-go-round and complained that the Officers of the Court played a game of "catch me if you can".
One case, a Deputy District Attorney left the Court in mid-sentence and never returned ?
A few Visiting Judges displayed outrage at the lack of discipline by Officers of the Court (attorneys)
Most Visiting Judges expressed concern for the condition of case files; missing documents, errors in case indexes
One Judge proclaimed that she was glad it was Friday and that she didn't plan on returning
This Court has become a
Defense Attorney and Public Defenders heaven
An eye opening 15 weeks